Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Fear For the New Mets Closer

With the trade of Fransisco Rodriguez to the Brewers, the Mets have created a hole in their bullpen. We also saved $17.5 million. And we have some monies.

People are reacting one way or the other about the Frankie Rodriguez trade. I've heard people say that the Mets just forfeited. I've also heard people say that we can get Reyes now with the money we saved on K-Rod.

I really don't care.

Yup. I really don't care. Why? Rumor has it that Bobby Parnell or Jason Isringhausen could step up and become the next closer. In my honest, humble, Post Traumatic Mets Disorder-influenced opinion, the ninth inning will always be an interesting affair. Sure, Frankie would get the job done...after runners are on first and third for the opposing team there's a full count on the batter. You could put whoever you want in the closer's role, we still wouldn't have a reliable closer. I'd say that the most reliable guy in the last decade or so has been Billy Wagner, but even he had his epic hiccups.

Put Parnell and his 100 mph fastball in. Put Isringhausen in with all his experience. Put Ryota Igarashi, who's on his way to New York, in the game. The Mets can't close the door easily. The bullpen has always been a crutch for the Mets, but I feel that Parnell and Pedro Beato can be groomed into a decent 8th-9th inning platoon.

I don't care who pitches in the ninth inning...whoever it is will have me biting my nails till the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment