Friday, February 4, 2011

Am I the Only One that Doesn't Care?

For the last couple of days, we have seen the coverage on Fred Wilpon's lawsuit with Madoff's trustee, Irving Picard. On top of not understanding what is going on, I really don't care. If I don't know what is going on, it's hard for me to care.

To me, it's just a crap load of the money that the Wilpons lost and Picard doesn't want to admit that Wilpon is a victim in the Ponzi scheme. Maybe Picard didn't see that Forbes put the value of the Mets at -$225 million.

Right now, the liabilities of this team are greater than their gains. Without any gain, it is hard for the front office to be able to pay the players they want on their team. Hence, rumors of the secret shopping of David Wright. Without a decent product on the field, the Mets can't win games. If the Mets don't win games, then fans decide to watch the games in the comfort of their own home....for free. Or at a sports bar, for a lot less money.

The way I see it, the only people suffering here are the fans. The Phillies sign Cliff Lee. The Mets? Boof Bonser. Despite rumors the Mets only had $3-5 million to spend in the offseason, it seems like they spent a lot more than that. The front office promised lower ticket prices and better ticket packages (the 7 pack was absolutely a perfect idea, I have idea why they took it away). But their liabilities are greater than their gains, and I can only see 4 games this season that will sellout at Citi Field: Opening Day, and when the Yankees come to town. And maybe the first game against the Phillies.

All this talk about money and finances makes my head hurt. As long as my precious David Wright is safe from trade rumors, then that's all I care about. You wanna unload a contract? How about the guy who sits in your bullpen for $12 million a year? Or the second baseman with two bum knees? That would be a good start.

Countdown to Pitchers and Catchers: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment