Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Great Expectations

Spring training is less than three weeks away and I am so excited for it to finally be baseball season! I, like many of you, am kinda bummed about the Jets losing but it just means that we are that much closer to seeing David Wright, Jose Reyes, and the Boys of Summer take the field once again.

The front office has already called this season a "rebuilding" year and fans are considering it a loss. But in our last "rebuilding" year, the Mets were 83-79 and David Wright became a household name. Then in 2006, we had the most awesomest year ever until Guillermo Mota let off that triple to Scott Spiezio. 2012 is the new 2006. But that's still a way's away. Here's what I expect in 2011:

1. Mike Pelfrey steps up in Johan Santana's absence. Terry Collins has already tapped Pelfrey to be his opening day starter. Collins thinks highly of him. I hope we get 1st-half Pelfrey and not 2nd-half Pelfrey.
2. Chris Capuano to make us say, "What Tommy John surgery?" We got Chris Capuano...about three years too late. Theoretically speaking, he should still be in his prime...or at least perform good enough so that Oliver Perez stays out of the rotation.
3. Cut Luis Castillo and Oliver Perez. This is a lot easier said than done because of all the money we'd be throwing away. However, the Mets drafted a middle infielder in the Rule V Draft and expect to have Daniel Murphy in camp competing for the second base job. They've also signed quite a few relief arms in Taylor Tankersley, Blaine Boyer, and Taylor Buchholz, all of whom are expected to compete for spots in the Mets' bullpen.
4. The David Wright Strikeout Counter lives on. Honestly, this counter kept me watching this past season. Without the David Wright Strikeout Counter, I probably would have tuned out in July. And I'm starting it in Spring Training this year, so watch out peeps!
5. Jason Bay to remind us that Jason Bay is still a Met. I honestly forgot all about Jason Bay until he showed up at the team Christmas party to see Santa David (honestly, where the hell was I?). His first season as a Met ended after 95 games, a .259 batting average, 6 home runs, and 47 RBI. I just want the Jason Bay of 2009 to show up. I thought we signed that guy.

We all have our own set of expectations. I really just want the Mets to have fun again. They've been so focused on winning and making the fans happy that we're all just disgusted with the way they're playing. I miss the handshakes and the high fives and the Jose Reyes Spanish Academy. Sure, it's what has made other team hate us, but that's what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment