Saturday, August 7, 2010

Count Your Blessings

To the left is one of the many signs of Karl Ehrhardt, or as we all may know him, "The Sign Man."

If the Sign Man were still alive today, I'd really like to know what his signs would say. The great thing about the Sign Man was that Ehrhardt so perfectly articulated how he felt about the team as a whole, without using the word "sucks." I would, and do, use the word "sucks" on an almost regular basis.

I'm counting my blessings tonight. The Mets scored one run against the Phillies tonight. One. Freaking. Run. And we're about to trade the guy that produced that run...allegedly. Thank you Frenchy for making the ball go bye-bye. I thought Citizens Bank Park was supposed to be hitter friendly. I guess that's unless you're the Mets.

The Mets won no thanks to guys like David Wright and Jose Reyes and Carlos Beltran. Nope. It was a brilliant pitcher's duel between Johan Santana and Cole Hamels. In the end, Cole's one mistake cost him the game. Johan totally confounded the Phillies offense, not letting off a hit until the sixth inning. I think 2nd-half Johan is finally getting into his groove, and hopefully just in time to help this team stay above .500, which is really all I want right now.

Count your blessings. The Sign Man says so. A win is a win, and I should be happy for at least the next 12 hours, which is always a good thing. And in the spirit of counting our blessings, R.A. Dickey pitches tomorrow. (against Roy Halladay)

David Wright Strikeout Counter: $11.80 (I think. MLB hasn't updated their stats so I had to go back to David's last 10 games. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

No comments:

Post a Comment