Tuesday, August 31, 2010

"We've been playing competitive baseball."

I swear to God Omar Minaya really said that. Paul White's USA Today cover story didn't really tell us anything that we didn't already know, but that statement made me laugh to the point of tears.

In competitive baseball, your offense hits the ball. You don't resort to putting Oliver Perez into an 8-3 ballgame. I saw that man, knew the season was immediately over and turned on Bachelor Pad.

In the same USA Today article, David Wright said, "We're not doing a good job collectively of scoring runs and winning games."

I don't know if anybody else sees this or is thinking what I am thinking, but I'm quite possibly thinking that Omar Minaya doesn't see the problem. The team sees the problem. I think even Jerry sees, but doesn't want to mention, the big elephant in the room: our offense is terrible. It is putrid.

While Jerry is not signed beyond this season, Omar has a contract through the 2012 season. It doesn't matter who the manager is; if we continue to have the same problems year in and year out, then this team is going nowhere. The manager takes the easy fall when really, it's the general manager's fault that there are these huge gaping holes in our lineup that are being filled by guys like Luis Rodriguez...who is Luis Rodriguez?

Perhaps Omar or the Wilpons should take a tip from Ron Darling: "This team has to be brutally honest with the fanbase. If you get knocked around, don't say 'Well, I thought I made some good pitches.' The fans around here know better."

At least somebody gets it.

David Wright Strikeout Counter: $13.80

No comments:

Post a Comment