Sunday, September 19, 2010

R.A. Dickey Is the Only Reason I Still Watch the Mets

I'll admit, when Omar Minaya signed R.A. Dickey this offseason, I thought to myself, "Why are we wasting our money on a 35-year-old pitcher?"

Well, R.A. Dickey has proven pretty much everybody who had that same thought wrong. R.A. Dickey's knuckleball may arguably be the sole bright spot in a season that might perhaps be the most epic failure of a baseball team ever. Now, when I see that R.A. Dickey is pitching, I say to myself, "We have half a chance of winning today, provided that the offense actually shows up."

Dickey leads all Mets starters with a 2.80 ERA and is in second in wins, only behind Mike Pelfrey. Dickey's allowed 48 earned runs in 154.1 innings pitched, even though because of the Mets offense doesn't show up half the time, I don't think this stat reflects accurately on his 11-6 record (even though out of our regular starters, he has lost the least amount of games).

We have half a chance of avoiding a sweep of the Braves today because of R.A. Dickey. Not because of David Wright or Angel Pagan (who, FYI leads the team in batting average), or the bullpen or the management. When R.A. Dickey takes the mound, it's like I have better confidence in this team. Of course, this team has totally crushed me in recent weeks. Lets just leave it at I feel better with Dickey on the mound than anybody else.

Can we please bring him back next year? Kthanksbye.

David Wright Strikeout Counter: $15.00

No comments:

Post a Comment