Thursday, June 10, 2010

Jon Niese Throws 34th Mets One-Hitter

The Mets defeated the Padres in the nightcap of their doubleheader 3-0. It was Jon Niese's first complete game and first shutout.

Jon Niese faced 28 batters, retiring 27 of them. He struck out six and walked none (obviously), lowering his ERA to a 3.61. Niese becomes the first pitcher since Shawn Estes in 2002 to retire 27 out of 28 batters. It was also the 34th one hitter in Mets history and the first complete game one hitter since Aaron Heilman did it back in 2005. Yup, I said "Aaron Heilman" and "one hitter" in the same sentence.

Jon Niese needed this start. I'm happy for him; he's always been a player that I root for to do well.

I'd like to thank the official Twitter of the New York Mets for providing me knowledge of a time when Aaron Heilman was actually good for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment